Mr Murphy “The Wizard”
Mr Murphy, the gardener, gains the nickname “The Wizard” for his improvements to the grounds. Terracing and a path give The Close structure and shape. The coronation of the young Elizabeth is all the news and Sister Janet suggests the path be called the Queen’s Path. A coronation plaque is built into the surround of the Queen’s Pond and the fountain plays for the first time on coronation day, 2 June 1953.
The Queen’s Path and the Queen’s Pond (the name of the former has survived but not the name of the latter) are core features in photographs since 1953, from those of staff sitting on the path to those of matrics at their school dance.
A tradition develops quickly around the Queen’s Path – only matrics and adults are allowed to use it, thus establishing a hierarchy of the elite versus the plebs. Although distinctions of this sort are a thing of the past, the tradition has survived.