A new school hall
Sister Irene leaves DSG, Pretoria, to take over as Sister Superior in 1953 when Sister Janet is recalled. (DSG is the first school to be opened by the Anglican Church in the 1870s. (See THE SCHOOL OPENS IN 1888, Learn More, 1888, decade 1).
The hall is in use by 1954 and makes life easier. There is no longer a need to find a room big enough for assemblies and indoor functions like school plays. In 1952 A Midsummer Night’s Dream is performed among the gum trees partly for this reason, although the outdoor setting is a fitting and atmospheric “stage” for lovers and fairies and the play is a raging success.