Johannesburg’s first Anglican Church
The first little church is St Mary’s Hall, built by the Reverend John Darragh in Eloff Street.
Miss Ross marries the Reverend Darragh in 1889. After the wedding ceremony and the reception, where the servants have polished off much of the food and beverages before the guests arrive, Mrs Darragh lays the foundation stone of St Mary-the-Less. For a number of years in the early days, the affairs of this little church and those of the school are inter-twined.