Old Girls' Club and first school magazine
An Old Girls’ Club is formed, the precursor to the Old Girls’ Association. It is not a great success – few St Mary’s girls remain in Johannesburg.
The first St Mary’s school magazine is produced. Miss Darke writes in the foreword, “Without a magazine there seems the lack of some vital channel of self-expression and the consequent retardation of development … We hope that old girls will use the magazine, as our great desire is the strengthening of the bond between past and present members of the school.” Having been educated at the venerable institutions of Cheltenham Ladies’ College and St Hilda’s College, Oxford, she understands the value of tradition and alumni. The Old Girls’ Association is eventually formed in 1936.